Tuesday 25 November 2008

Advent Beach Hut Calendar

Next week sees the launch of our most ambitious project yet - the world premiere of The Advent Beach Hut Calendar. All along the Hove seafront from the border with Brighton up to the Hove Lagoon there are some 440 beach huts and it occurred to us a year ago that opening their doors was rather like opening the doors on an advent calendar to reveal a piece of chocolate and a suprise picture. We've been able to recruit beach hut owners who are prepared to open their hut for an hour between 5.30pm and 6.30pm at some point during the month and to create a display themed around a Christmas Carol. Some hut owners who weren't able to do a display have been teamed up with local artists and a theatre company who are going to put on something on their behalf.

We hope that this will get the whole community here in Brighton & Hove talking about advent and what it means to look forward to the birth of Christ on Christmas Day.

We will be posting photos and comments from each opening here on the blog as often as possible throughout the month so please come by and see what we're doing and take part in this advent event.And for those of you able to come - don't forget LIGHT this Sunday at 7pm at the Old Market Theatre featuring internationally acclaimed light artist, Chris Levine. See the main website for details.

8 comments:

maggi said...

fantastic! I am so coming to see this

Jane said...

wish I could too looks great - I shall have to make do with the Grand Saconnex garden Advent calendar
Good luck with the project

Cal said...

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful idea. And how great that people wanted to participate.

Carl H. Sr. said...

What a wonderful idea!
As I live on the other side of the pond,I will visit through your blog site. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
God Bless You,
Carl Humphreys

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

AWESOME!! Im gonna get off my backside and come down one day, truly beautiful idea, Christmas is not my thing but this has sparked me.

michael said...

absolutely amazing.

I'm sticking this on my blog right now and tempted to book a coach load of people to come down...

genius.

BEYOND said...

Anyone wanting to make a trip down is very welcome, we're going to try and put extra effort into the weekends and I know Friday 19th December is going to be pretty special - email info@beyondchurch.co.uk and we'll give you some more information

Anonymous said...

Amazing idea to draw people in to the journey towards Christmas. We're following your idea in our home town, as I'm sure many others are too!